Saturday, February 6, 2010

Should I be considered over the amount of radiation from a PS3 controller?

It runs on 2.4Ghz. If so, will connecting it w/ a USB cable make it less damaging? Or is there any way I can avoid a wireless controller and use my ps2 controller or an already made wired ps3 controller.





Thanks for responses!





(Wonder if other people are thinking the same thing)Should I be considered over the amount of radiation from a PS3 controller?
Radiation is measured in curies or becquerel, not GHz. GHz is for measuring frequency.





The PS3 controller do not give off radiation. Suppose it did give off radiation, it's practically background radiation. You are more radiation exposure by getting a suntan than you would by playing the PS3 for an entire year.





I don't believe there's anything in the PS3 controller that would emit radiation.Should I be considered over the amount of radiation from a PS3 controller?
Besides everything ';superdork'; mentioned, I think the word you were looking for is ';concerned';, not ';considered';.





LOL
From PS3 Technical support site you can find this:





Why PS3 radiate like cellphone even if no bluetooth devices or wlan is connected.





I happen to have a microwave detector for ovens. Few days ago I decided to measure different devices just for curiosity. One was my PS3 (60 or 80GB old model) and I was surprised the values I got. I had no bluetooth devices present and internet connected with cable - so there should not be any microwave traffic. Well there is - and a lot!





I measured 4 mW/cm2 during turn on (boot) and around 2 mW/cm2 after that. Measurement range is around 2.4 GHz, which is used in cellphones, bluetooth, wlan etc. The weird thing is that the radiation value is almost constant. When the PS3 is on, there is always the same radiation about 2 mW/cm2 even if I don't use it (but it is on). I turned off internet etc. but nothing seems to affect to the radiation. When I connected the sony DVD remote (bluetooth) and used it, there was no difference in the radiation value!





The intensity of the radiation is about the same with my gsm cellphone (Nokia Communicator) when I call from my home. So the radiation from PS3 could achieve the closest mobile phone base stations 0,5-1km. Which is little too much if you are just watching DVD?





I am not worried about microwaves. Values I presented above are under the limits in Finland (limit might be 10mW/cm2 or something) and nobody keeps their head close to the main unit. But as an engineer I am confused about awkward engineering Sony has done. Why keep the microwave transmitter always on if there is no data to transmit. PS3 consumes a lot electricity and I guess above mentioned should be one of the reasons. Mobile phones transmits mainly then when you speak, wlan if there is data to send, why not the same way in PS3 - it should not be technical problem?





Well the question is: Is my PS3 broken or are they all like that. I could not contact sony directly so I put it here. If some one could reproduce my test it would be nice to know - all you need is a microwave oven tester device, everyone has that .





The hot spot is on top and little left from the center point of the PS3 (if you have it horizontally on the table). Metering device has to be close as possible to the surface to get values I got.





I am having H1N1 and can't go out to play football, that is why I have to do something like this.





For those who bought third party usb controllers or use Sony's own with cable in order to avoid microwaves - I can only say - sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment