Monday, February 8, 2010

Can anyone explain to me how a model rocket launch controller/detonator works?

I was wondering how it ignites rocket booster, is it through electronic detonation? If so .. are these similar to wireless detonation controllers? Awkward question I know but if someone can help, I would appreciate it.Can anyone explain to me how a model rocket launch controller/detonator works?
Estes model rockets use a nichrome wire igniter. The launch controller puts current through the igniter. This heats up the thin nichrome wire causing it to burn through. The burning through of the wire ignites pyrogen on the tip of the igniter which then lights the rocket engine.


Wireless ';detonation controllers'; that I've seen work in a similar fashion but use large capacitors to store a lot more energy than a model rocket launcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment